Sunday, March 15, 2009

Peeing like a Racehorse

Olivia is doing wonderful. She's now only on one BP medicine to keep her pressures up and one to dilate her peripheral circulation. She's down lowest dose of Morphine before weaning. Her pressures have stayed right in the mid to upper 50's, right where they want them .

She has also been taken off all Diuretics for the time being because she is urinating like crazy. (which is good, but again too much can be bad).  The Cardiologist suspects that her one 'bad' kidney actually produces urine, but is indiscriminate about what is being peed out. As infants with these cystic kidneys age, the kidney continues to shrink and eventually disappears, leaving all the work to the one healthy kidney. 

As I write this they are preparing to start her first 'sprint' on the respirator. She'll be almost turned off the respirator trying train her to breath on her own again. They'll do this three or four times over the next 12-24 hours. As long as she responds well, she'll come off the respirator tomorrow.

Probably won't post until tomorrow morning unless things change dramatically.

Thanks again for reading and keeping us in your thoughts.

Olivia, Sara , & Ben

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on no postings until tomorrow. It will keep us from worrying. One of our favorite things about your writing Ben is the titles of each chapter. Get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep us on the edge of our seats! Or, should I say, Olivia the Diva does. :-) Glad to hear she is progressing like the doctors want her to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news.

    Thanks for taking time from everyones hectic day and keeping all of us updated.

    I just got home from work, change dout of work clothes, and made sure that in the quick link bar of firefox, I clicked THIS first. I do it in the morning now. I do it when I come home from work. Or if I was away from the house for awhile.

    Olivias blog is sitting right next to the OO Football League, a LJ link, and the bubble game time waster.

    I only have 5 more days myself. Friday 7:30 AM.

    I am not sure if I am more worried than excited.

    I hope that after this whole hospital trip, Olivia keeps her blog, till she can use it herself..:)

    Get some sleep, thanks for the news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont need to keep us interested. I believe we do well on our own as we are all running to and from computers to not miss a post no matter where we go. So glad for the good news. Who ever thought PEE could look so good? I am so happy for Peanut's progress. Hope you can again rest tonight. Arent doctors and nurses amazing? You will never forget them. Good night Peanut Diva- Have a good safe sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if I can find a PINK litter scoop with "Diva" on it????? The search begins.....

    I'm so relieved that things are going so well.....I'm really looking forward to my Tues/Wed with the Diva keeping us in line!!!!!

    Many many hugs.....
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Olivia,Sara and Ben; great news so far. You and your family are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Tom and Marie Blair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent news! What a little fighter! Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete