Friday, February 19, 2010

One Year Ago Today

At 9:15pm on 2/19/09, Sara and I were introduced to our daughter Olivia Anne. We were well aware that our lives would change forever, yet totally unprepared for the direction of change. Today should be a day of celebration and laughter, yet instead it will be a day of sadness and tears.

The last 12 months have been a roller coaster of emotion and stress. Even though we were exhausted the first 36 hours of our life with Olivia were perfect. We did not yet know that she had a heart defect, we did not know her liver couldn't clear itself of bile, we didn't know only one kidney would function. How sweet those precious hours of peace were. I can remember waking up to her 'hungry' cry during that first night, the pride I felt in being a father, the overwhelming urge to protect and defend, the reality of being a family of three now.

Not a moment goes by where Olivia is not front and center in our minds. The loss of those bright shining eyes and dimpled smile changed who we are forever. The torn fabric of our family might slowly be reworked and mended, yet always will the scar remain. We have made many new friends along our journey, while some old ones have faded away. The support we've received from friends, acquaintances, bloggers has been critical to our survival and will continue to be so in the future. I ask you now to keep us in your thoughts, not just today, but next week, next year, five years from now. Light a candle, Say a prayer, send a card, an e-mail, a phone call, acknowledgement that Olivia touched your lives keeps us going.

Peace,

Ben, Sara, & Angel Olivia

Goodnight My Sweet Angel.... Happy 1st Birthday

5 comments:

  1. Ben and Sara:

    I wish i could change today into a celebration instead of so much sadness. Olivia will always be remembered and loved. Learning about her health helped me come to terms with my mothers health and also helped me get through Anatomy class. :) She was so lucky to have the two of you as parents...and this whole world has been blessed to have her with us. Many hugs and Much love to the two of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Olivia! While your journey here was short, I know you have touched many lives. Reminding us how precious life is and how we need to treasure every moment while here on earth. Hugs from Georgia and from one heart family to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children change who we are just by their very life. I was reminded of just how true that was just over a week ago. I received a phone call that every parent dreads ... "Hello, you don't know me, but your daughter's been hit by a car" Well, as it turned out, she was very fortunate ... some concussion, grazes and bruises, and released from hospital within a few hours. At one point I called the hospital for an update, and was told she was being wheeled to CT Scan, so my immediate thought was low BP and internal bleeding! (We are just over 2 hours away from her). I felt so useless as a parent. But her sister who lived nearby went and helped her. Proof that we had done the right things as parents.

    My horror was nothing like yours, but you did everything you possibly could for your little one and you need to know that you should never blame yourselves for what happened. It was every bit as out of your control as I was unable to provide an extra pair of eyes for my daughter. Should haves, and could haves and what ifs are easy to think about, but are of no use in our ability to move forward from where we find ourselves.



    To Olivia ... an extraordinary child who will be greatly missed and

    To Sara & Ben ... extraordinary parents who did all they could for their little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you haven't posted in a while. However, I had to come by and visit Olivia's page. Today another allagille's angel earned her wings. Today at 3:45 am she went to be with the Lord Jesus. She was brave and strong. She tried to so hard...maybe just maybe, it helps me to think so anyway....Olivia and Miya have met up and are playing in the presence of Jesus....
    http://adventuresasaproverbs31mommy.blogspot.com/2010/05/angel-got-her-wingsin-loving-memory-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this was written a while ago, but for a while your blog wasn't working on my computer (idk why). So glad it is now. I know what you mean about the first hours of life being perfect...kinda. My time of peace wasn't until maybe a week after he was born, not quite, since they were worried about him inutero about having a heart defect, and he quit growing. I've been thinking of your family a lot today as I tried to cope with the loss of Blake. It's so unfair. Maybe now they can meet and play together, and wait for us. I'm never going to be over Blake, the same way you will never be over Olivia.

    ReplyDelete